Sticking to the grocery list

Good Morning!

Yesterday I gave you my meal plan for the week and it was inspired by this picture :)   My friend from crossfit wrote me a sample 7 day meal plan that I am trying this week and I’m doing my best to stay on track with it!

list

My grocery List:

• romaine lettuce
  • spinach
  • spaghetti squash
  • acorn squash
  • yellow squash/zucchini
  • tomato/cucumber/red onion/ bell peppers
  • carrots
  • turkey bacon
  • eggs
  • frozen chicken/ ready-made chicken/ tuna / salmon
  • coconut milk- can
  • blueberries/ strawberries

Lately, like half of the world these days, I am trying to stick to my grocery budget and only buy things that I NEED, not WANT!  I know this can be a hard task sometimes.  As soon as I wonder down the healthy food aisles at Kroger I am bound to buy things that are not on my list.  For example I wanted to buy more flavors of greek yogurt, maybe a new cereal, etc….but I had to stick to the list!

This week I planned out most of my breakfasts, lunches, and dinners so I knew exactly what I needed.  I know this can get boring at times, but as long as you spice it up by trying new dinners each week, you should be golden!

I don’t really have a total set yet, but I am working on it.  I figured if I could narrow my grocery budget to 300-350 from like 500 a month I could really save some moola if you know what I mean!  Of course, healthy and organic foods are more expensive so you really need to be precise on what you NEED to buy organic.  That is a whole other day of blogging folks :)

Here are some tips that I started using for sticking to your grocery budget:

Make a List:

groc list

When I say make a list, I mean write down what you are going to buy at the store, and stick to it!  If you need eggs and cheese, don’t walk down the candy or cereal aisle because you will be tempted!  I know I am.

Don’t Stray:

Like I said before, I love grocery shopping.  It is like my special time, lol.  I love looking at all the new items in the health food aisles and I take my time reading labels, but if I sneak a peek in the chip aisle or the protein bar aisle I am done. Stick to your list and get in and out people!

Keep tabs on what you have at home before you go to the store:

I love LUNA Bars, and rightly so because they are the bomb!  I will have 3 bars at home and then I’ll go to the store and see a different flavor I want and I’ll end up with 10 protein bars in my cart!!  This cannot happen.  I probably won’t even eat all of these before my next shopping trip anyway!  Remember what you have at home and don’t buy unnecessary items.

Also, look to see what kind of meats you have (if you eat meat) and figure out a meal plan with the meat you have first and then buy accordingly.  If I have burgers and shrimp and chicken but no fish, only buy fish!  The chicken will still be at the store in a couple of weeks when you go back!

Don’t buy something just because it is on sale:

I am super BAD at this one.  I have a million tubs of laughing cow cream cheese thanks to my summer package I received!

cow

Of course laughing cow was on sale and I was so tempted to reach for my favorite cinnamon cream cheese flavor!  I  had to remind myself that It will be on sale again and I still have like 84 wedges of different cheeses at home.

**I hope these shopping tips help you stay on track with your grocery budget!

Do you ever come home with things that aren’t on your list??

Comments

1. says

Great tips! I definitely make a list but you are soo right about not straying down unnecessary aisles. Luna bars are amazing… have you tried their Carrot Cake flavour? It’s not available in Canada yet… sadface.

• says

I think the only place that has it right now is Whole Foods and I havent made my way up there yet. I cant wait to try it. Carrot cake is my all time fav!

2. says

This is such a good post because I have a huge problem with this! I always come home with stuff I didn’t plan to get or stuff I probably don’t even need. It’s definitely worse if I shop hungry, too.

3. says

I looove grocery shopping (when I have the time) and I find it so calming to peruse the aisles. But, that inevitably leads to buying things I don’t NEED. It gets reallll expensive real fast. I need to be better about sticking to a grocery list!

4. says

I’m the -worst- when it comes to actually sticking to what’s on my list. If I’m browsing the aisles and see something new and delicious? Into the cart it goes. If I’m shopping while I’m hungry? I want ALL the food. It hasn’t been -too- big of a problem so far, but sometimes I end up with things sitting in my pantry that I don’t know how to use up. I’m looking at you, amaranth…

5. says

Those are a lot of the same tips and tricks that I am using with my 3 month grocery challenge. I think the key is to not impulse buy – stick to the list!! And we have been using cash in an envelope which really helps to curb impulse buying too.

6. says

Buying things that I NEED instead of buying what I WANT can be so difficult. This is one reason why I always food plan and write my grocery list off of my plan. Now and then, though, some “wants” sneak into my shopping cart…especially at Trader Joe’s! ;)

7. says

These are great tips to sticking to a grocery lit and budget! I go back an forth between buying items on sale and items that are on a meal plan. I haven’t been too successful with meal planning but luckily I’m good about using the foods I have on hand in the house.

8. says

I LOVE grocery shopping so it’s so hard for me to make a list and stick with it, but I know that most of the time if I don’t, it’s going to be bad for my health and bad for my bank account!

9. says

I always fall for sale items! I have been MUCH better about sticking to my grocery budget/list. When I only need 1 or 2 things for dinner I get them during my lunch break at work. Since I can’t bring back arm fills of groceries to the office it keeps me from wondering down the ice cream aisle ;)

10. says

I am the WORST at this. Especially if Target is on my way home and I decide to go grocery shopping there. I get caught up for hours and buy anything from food, to clothes, to new kitchen appliances.

11. says

Great tips! I used to struggle with making a list for the week, checking to see what was already on hand, and then shopping. It was very time consuming and would take 2+ hours sometimes. But ever since I tried plantoeat.com, it has been really easy to stick to my list and even easier to plan out for the week. Now I can plan, check, and shop in under an hour sometimes.

12. says

The thing that restricts me from buying too much at the store is the fact that I usually have to carry it all home! I normally bike to the grocery store, so everything I buy has to fit in my 1 giant reusable bag :)

13. says

I always make a need list and keep a running want list in my planning binder. If I am efficient with sales/coupons and can meet all needs for less than the grocery budget, then I visit the want list.

14. says

The bf and I are very big about only buying what we will use from week to week as far as most of the groceries go. For TWO people we spend roughly $300/mo. wE DON’T BUY TOTALLY organic/natural though.
    We have things that do last over the course of a month – like dressings or other condiments, but we both eat primarily veggies. I think the only meat in our house at this moment (and it’s been there for weeks) is a couple cans of tuna and 2 tuna steaks in the freezer! Everything else is fresh! :) We do go out to eat 1-2x in the weekend.